Saturday 10 October 2020

Isolation Day 6 - Diary 2

Thanks everyone for all your offers of help after yesterday's post it really made us appreciate our friends even though we haven't seen many for quite some time. Well things took a bit of a turn yesterday, I think I mentioned I'd not been feeling great all week, a few aches and pains, particularly in my legs, bit of a cough and sniffles but nothing really bad just a general malaise. That said as each day passes I've been getting better so I just put it down to a cold until I noticed I couldn't taste my food, a piece of toast, it was like eating a piece of cardboard, not that I eat cardboard but you get my meaning.

I then tried sniffing stuff, clothes, flowers, toothpaste, soap (which I got a hint of), whatever was around but basically I realised I've lost those senses and I can tell you it's weird! I spoke to Lucas (21) our son as he's experiencing the same and he agreed saying you still crave food but it's just odd when you come to eat it. I had my usual porridge with grapes and blueberries this morning and it tasted of nothing, but I still had to eat it. Bizarre!

NHS Track and Trace called this morning to make sure we knew we had to self isolate, a nice Geordie lad who was very helpful. I confirmed we understood the rules and we can't do f**k all for 2 weeks, obviously I didn't put it in those terms. He offered to get us help with anything we needed but I told him we're ok but always good to know just in case. I asked his advice on my new symptoms and he said to get another test despite having one done for the Office of National Statistics on Wednesday (which I haven't heard from since). I've been to Haydock Park this morning and been tested again, not a pleasant experience but necessary. It's a drive through and they give you the option of D.I.Y. or they will carry it out. I opted for the latter as I wanted it done properly in case I'd cocked it up, boy do they shove that swab right up your conk. Anyway results to come in 24 to 48 hours. I'm not too concerned though as I feel much better than I did but I do think it maybe positive.

I'm sure you heard of the sad passing of Eddie Van Halen this week, my social media exploded, he was a real pioneer of guitar and an amazing player, writer and all round musician. I made sure I listened to Van Halen's debut album yesterday and watched a lovely documentary on YouTube. It's difficult to explain how influential he was to so many musicians. At the time no-one could play or sound like him, he opened up a new style of playing using both hands on the neck that so many have copied and tried to emulate. I remember playing Jump by Van Halen back in the day and no-one could quite nail the solo like he could or if they got close, make it look so effortless. For those not familiar listen to "Beat It" by Michael Jackson, that's Eddie Van Halen playing guitar. Amazing!

That's me done for today. Tonight I'll be mostly drinking beer and wine, not sure how that's going to work if I can't taste it but in the interests of research I'm willing to give it a go. I'll be back with the results tomorrow. Keep Safe Everyone xx

Photo by Anika Mikkelson on Unsplash

No comments: