Friday 9 October 2020

Isolation Day 5 - a few thoughts

Perhaps I should have started this on Day 1 but it's taken a few days to get used to the new situation having found ourselves having to isolate for 14 days after our youngest son (21) tested positive for coronavirus. Thankfully he's much better after the aches and pains of last weekend even though he's still lost his sense of taste and smell. By the way I did find it funny last night as he asked his older brother (28) for a shot of his expensive vodka to see if the senses had returned. They hadn't. Maybe he'll ask him again tonight? Or maybe they've already come back!

It's a strange time for everyone with this second wave (especially here in the North) but I'm finding my new state of affairs akin to the last national lockdown as I'm already losing track of the days, forgetting to put the bins out was one example luckily remembering after hearing the refuse wagon turn the corner and dashing down partially dressed to walk them down the drive. I am allowed to put the bins out aren't I Boris? 

I have been feeling a bit under the weather with a slight cold, in fact every little ache, or slight cough is accentuated as you think is this the start of "my corona-virus" but as I had a test for the Office of National Statistics the other day and it's now been 48 hours I reckon the test is negative as they only inform you if the test is positive - part of the survey conditions apparently. Something we signed up a couple of weeks ago after receiving a letter saying you receive vouchers for taking part, £50 for the first test and £25 for each subsequent test. I'm hoping you can spend them on guitars?

I applied for some funding the other day as I now can't work for 2 weeks. I'm self employed and the Test and Trace Support Payment has just come in but you need to do it through your local council. If you're in the same boat be prepared to spend a few hours as they want to know everything, understandable I suppose. After downloading my tax return, turning it into a pdf, photographing my bank statement, downloading an isolation note, writing a letter to explain how I can't work from home I finally submitted my application only to be told by a pop up window that I hadn't submitted enough information. I had but repeated the submission a couple more times. Same message 'Computer says No'.

I decided to email Wigan M.B.C. to explain the situation and my frustrations being careful not to come across as an arsehole and left my mobile number. I actually got a phone call back from a nice lady who informed me that they'd received all the information required - 3 times! But I definitely detected a touch of sarcasm in her tone . I was sorely tempted to kick off about their IT department's incompetence but thought better of it as I could do with the cash.

On other matters my wife wants to redecorate the kitchen, that's not happening, our dog Luna seems like she constantly wants to go for a walk and follows me around the house but thankfully we have a decent sized garden so we can take it in turns tiring her out. I've also done an online shop at Asda, the first for quite some time which should arrive tomorrow around 6 pm, just in time for beer o'clock. Of course I've forgotten quite a few food items but hopefully the 3 cases of Heineken for £21 will arrive intact. Bargain!

Well that's it for today. I'll try and keep this little diary going for my isolation period but I can't promise as my good intentions often fall by the wayside. Keep safe everyone until the next time...

Photo by engin akyurt on Unsplash

No comments: