Friday 12 July 2013

Album Coming Along Slowly


My Home Studio
Since my last post I have moved onto the 5th track of my album. I'm trying to work in a linear way as opposed to jumping from track to track as I find that can become confusing and you tend to to spend half your time reviewing what you did the last time you visited that particular piece of music.

I've done that in the past, got stuck on a guitar part or keyboard part and thought, stuff it and moved onto something else. Then when I eventually come back to the part, days or even weeks later I'm back to square one.
Other times it can be refreshing to leave something and revisit it later, then you put it down in one take and wonder what all the fuss was about.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to recording or creating a piece of music or any art form for that matter, be it Books, Painting, whatever. It can be good to give the brain or your ears a bit of time to rest and recover or you can push on through the problem and stay up all night until your happy. Then again you may review it the next day and end up deleting it anyway. Ha Ha!
.
For this album I've decided to work on recording one piece of music at a time. I tend to mix as I go along until I'm reasonably happy with how its sounding and then bounce it down to a stereo mix, back it up and move on to the next one. Remixing again when the recording process is done.

As for Mastering, i.e. adding the final polish - I will do that at the very end when all the tracks are mixed and I can work them all together to get the finished article. I do think Mastering is a completely different entity and should be treated that way and if funds allow get a professional Mastering Engineer to do it for you if you don't have experience in that field.
I hope that kind of makes sense and I do hope you're all enjoying the great weather... in the UK at least.

No comments: