Friday 10 August 2012

Some Info on the "Still Life" tracks


Chris Picton – Still Life
Still Life is Chris Picton’s First Solo Album available Now for digital download at
My debut solo album is a collection of mainly instrumental pieces, but with a continuation of the song-writing I originally showed in the band Quecia.
The album in fact contains 2 of the strongest songs I think I've written. “Face to Face” beautifully sung by Hayley McCarrick and “Still Life” transformed by her wonderfully talented sister Kirsty. Both vocals and guitar (Paul Ayre) were recorded before the band decided to call it a day. I've added new parts and remixed the song.
“I didn’t want to see these 2 ideas sat on my PC’s hard drive knowing that they could be redone and released,  hopefully to be enjoyed by anyone who wants to listen.
The other 6 instrumental tracks are an eclectic bunch under the banner of Progressive Rock. All instruments are played by me. I am predominately a Bassist but have always recorded Keyboards and Guitar in the studio scenario. The drum tracks can even be classed as “Live” thanks to the wonders of modern technology.
The 1st track “Run On This Land” is heavily influenced by the classic Pink Floyd era driven by the moody piano riff but in the main by the soaring lead guitar melody line in the second half.
Track 2 “Judgement Day” After a quiet keyboard intro it starts to build in a darker vein. This is a much heavier track, smouldering with tension, where Good fights Evil. Powerful synths and strings ramp up the conclusion to the heavy solo guitar outro.
“Frozen In Time” is again guitar driven, with lots of Echo and Sound FX. A war theme about a moment in time, as a young soldier's life slips away in his girlfriends arms.
“Solar Motion” takes us through various changes of rise and fall as keyboards and guitar take turns in driving forward the melody. A definite nod towards Prog Rock’s instrumental past.
 “Free Fall” takes us on a guitar led journey, keyboards moving and adding in each section with sampled choirs and sweeping synthesizers continuing the momentum until the end.
Finally “Sunny Side” is a much lighter piece, with a jazz guitar influence, leading into a more Proggy style mix of duel lead guitar and mellotron style synthesiser.
“Still Life” is available as a “Pay What You Want” release, so it’s Free if you can’t afford but has a suggested price of just £5 for those wanting to contribute and help me make some more music!
“I got some sound advice from an author friend of mine once – Matt Hilton. He told me to finish what I’ve started and finally I did! I hope you enjoy the music and share it with your friends or enemies! I don’t mind” – Best Wishes...
Contact me at:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Chrisp321                                Email – cpicton882@aol.com
Bookmark and Share

No comments: